Ahoy! I’m Jennifer Bray-Weber, author, beach bum, rum drinker and pirate diva. I am honored to be a new addition to History Undressed. Every second Tuesday of the month, I will offer boatloads of pirate topics, facts and overall revelry for your enjoyment. From time to time, I’ll even share my booty, er, plunder, um, swag. I’m so excited to be a part of the blog, I’m shivering in me timbers! I know, I know...bad pun.
Pirates are a fascinating bunch. The more I researched them, the more I became obsessed. Here are ten reasons why I love those scallywags.
|It's a pirate's life for me!|
1. Because I can call them scallywags. No, seriously. Pirates work hard and they play harder. My kind of folks.
2. Pirates are clever and strategic tacticians. Prowling the seas is a business, not just an adventure.
3. They are courageous. Whether in battle or from the hardships of sailing, they face the real likelihood they will not survive. Yet, it is the life they choose.
4. Loyalty is in their blood. They are a brotherhood unlike any other. When the world is the enemy, they have each other’s backs.
5. They love passionately. After all, tomorrow is never a guarantee.
6. Pirates are self-governing. They sign articles—a code of conduct—they are expected to follow. If they break the rules, they face just punishment. They vote on important matters, like who’ll be captain. And spoils are divided equally and fairly depending upon rank.
7. Superstition is rampant. Just like most sailors, they are a superstitious lot. This makes for fun pirate tales.
|Sexy, wicked fun|
8. Pirates are bad boys. Need I say more?
9. They live free, relentless in pursuit of adventure and wealth.
10. And because pirates capture my fancy in movies and television. Some of my favorites: Pirates of the Caribbean (naturally), Black Sails, Captain Blood, Buccaneer’s Girl, Crossbones, Against All Flags, and Goonies, just to name a few. Let’s not forget Dread Pirate Roberts (The Princess Bride) and Captain Shakespeare (Stardust). And how about sea adventures like Master and Commander, Mutiny on the Bounty, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Do you have a favorite pirate or sea adventure movie?
About the Author
Jennifer is the award-winning author of the Romancing the Pirate series. Visit her at www.jbrayweber.com or join her mailing list for sneak peeks, excerpts, and giveaways.